Saturday, February 20, 2016
Don't Avoid Puddles, Jump In Them!
Tonight I was supposed to get together with my parents for dinner. They are in town from Syracuse, New York but my Mom wasn’t feeling well so she canceled. I decided to take a little nap with my 500 count Duvet and sunk into the sheets. Something about a nap while it’s raining out is glorious. I woke up feeling refreshed and something in my silly brain said “let’s walk to a coffee shop and write some lyrics” so that’s what I did. Well actually first I grabbed a salad, walked a few doors down for a coffee”, and shit”, the coffee shop was closed. I began walking home. I was getting increasingly wet and uncomfortable. At one point I tried to avoid stepping into a big puddle but in all directions the water was flowing so yeah my feet were soaked. For a moment I felt pissed and uncomfortable and then it hit me, when I was a kid I didn’t try to avoid puddles I actually jumped in them. It was like aha moment. Then I started thinking what if I could think that way with everything. Maybe this should be my new motto. “Don’t avoid puddles, jump in them” or perhaps "Make Puddles fun again! Perhaps life is more about how you handle the puddles then the sunshine and maybe sometimes we come to expect the sunshine all the time. I know that is the case for people in Los Angeles, the place that I call home. People here treat rain like the plague. They detest it. Perhaps they have it too good and they loose perspective. I think a good solution to this problem is any Los Angeles resident found to be bitching too much about the weather should be required to go spend a week in Syracuse, New York in February. There’s just something about not being able to feel your face that makes a person realize that a few droplets coming from the sky really aren’t all that bad. Perspective is everything. How do we loose it and how do we get it back? There is a good song in there somewhere. Ok, time to go write it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment